Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Blue Bike

For two years Elijah has ridden a pink bike, bought at a yard sale. There are stickers on it and it has been through much use. And ever since he got his bike he has asked me, "Mommy, can we please get a blue bike." You see, blue is his most favorite color in the whole world. At dinner if the blue kiddie plate is clean I prepare his meal on it. If the blue plate is dirty, I will wash it just for my Elijah, because he lights up when he sees that he gets to eat off a blue plate. It's the little things in life, right?

One time at Wal-mart I passed the spray-paint aisle and instead of continuing forward, I stopped, got an attendant and had them unlock the cabinet. Deep, beautiful blue. I had plans to paint that bike.
Then time passed. And it seemed that this bike would never get painted and Elijah continued to happily ride his bike but still look up at me with his amazing, brown-puppy eyes and ask, "Mommy, when can we paint my bike blue? For my next birthday? For Christmas?"

Just a bit ago his birthday was approaching and I knew...he was going to get a bike. And it HAD to be blue. His pink bike was now too small so really, it was the perfect opportunity. As a single mom I planned and saved to purchase the bike, knowing it would cost about $70-$100 for a nice bike. While searching at the store it became apparent that the green or silver choice would not do. Not to mention, the store had only two bikes in the appropriate size! "Check online," suggested the associate with his blue vest and cheerful smile.

Then a voice whispered. Patience. Just wait.
Me...wait? Admittedly I can be a bit hasty and impatient but nevertheless, I followed that voice and began to search for the other items on my list. With a hand around my wrist I was stopped by a friend of mine, a sweetie I get to see often while at the gym. She asked what I had going on and with a sigh I recounted the frustrations of finding Elijah an 18" blue bike with coaster brakes. She tilted her head and smiled wide, "I have a bike...in fact I have wanted to get rid of it but can't find anyone that needs it. I was about to take it to donation. Want it?"

My heart swelled. "Send me a pic, I would love to take it if it's the right size." At this point I knew that blue would not be an option, but maybe he would like another fabulous color of the rainbow.

When the text came later that day I opened it and felt my heart swell. A blue, 18" bike with coaster brakes. Immediately I knew who to thank.

God is always mindful. He is SO GOOD. This little blue bike seems trivial, but it's the little things, and we have a God that KNOWS how important those little things are. Especially for this momma who desires to show her boys that they are beyond priceless. They are Princes. They are their momma's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment